"our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

will you flourish in the desert?


Therefore I am now going to allure her, I will lead her into the desert and speak tenderly to her. There I will give her back her vineyards, and will make the Valley of (Trouble) a door of hope. There she will sing as in the days of her youth, as in the days she came up out of (bondage). “In that day,” declares the Lord, “you will call me ‘my husband’; you will no longer call me ‘my master.’ (Hosea 2:14-16)


Lately i have found myself in the midst of this and found those wise words extremely helpful for my situation. I hope that whoever comes across this can also be encouraged.


"I wonder, sometimes, if God doesn’t take that same strategy with us today. Could He be allowing us to go through a desert and even at times lead us there so He can “speak tenderly” to us and show us a new side of Himself? Sometimes God allows us to go through certain deserts as consequences of our sin or some bad decisions we made along the way. But other times, I believe He will lead us through a desert because of how He wants us to experience Him there. What desert might God be allowing you to walk through right now so He can show you a new side of Himself? To make sure you don’t miss your opportunity to see a new side of God and grow closer to Him through your circumstances, remember these three things when the winds of difficulty begin to blow your way: 

1. Seek God’s Favor –Ask God what side of Himself He wants you to see, what characteristic of His He’s waiting to reveal to you, what level of His love He’s wanting you to experience. To seek His favor is to say “I want You to be pleased, Lord, in how I’m handling this. Grow me through it – for your glory!”

2. Surround Yourself with Support – None of us were intended to “go it alone.” Find some women in your church who support you in your faith and can encourage you and hold you accountable during the tough times. Having strong friends to lean on – and who can pray for you – will steer you in the right direction and keep you from becoming bitter. 

3. Sing – regardless of your circumstances. In 1 Thessalonians 5:18 we’re told “In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” I’ve paraphrased that verse to read, “In all things, sing…” To sing in our suffering lifts our hearts and keeps us focused on the growth God wants to incorporate in our lives. God will, at times, do what it takes to draw us to His side so we will depend on Him more. Kris and Robert are learning this, and are determined now more than ever to bloom amidst their burdens. Will you flourish in your desert, as well?"

No comments:

Post a Comment